If you spend a lot of time in front of a computer device, chances are you are straining your eyes. One way to reduce the stress and strain of computer screens on our eyes is by turning on dark mode. Therefore, we need to know how to turn on dark mode on our apps.
So, what is Dark Mode? Dark Mode is simply a setting that switches the background of an app or a browser to black instead of the usual white. As you probably already know, dark mode is better for your eyes, it reduces the strain of white light on your eyes and it can also help save your battery life.
Therefore, In this post, I will tell you everything you need to know regarding enabling and disabling Night mode on different browsers and social media sites.
How to Turn on and Turn off Dark Mode on Facebook
After an endless wait, Facebook finally launched Dark Mode for the desktop version of Facebook. The mobile App version is still in the testing phase and is slowly being rolled out.
The Facebook Night mode user interface is pretty awesome and great for those who would love to preserve their sights, but can’t do away with social media, lol.
Facebook Dark Mode is a huge contrast from the usual bright, white background we’re all used to and it’s’ very easy to enable.
How To Change Your Facebook to Dark Mode on Your Computer
To Turn on Dark Mode on your desktop version of Facebook, please follow these steps:
- Log into your Facebook account on your desktop browser
2 Click on “Account” the downward-facing arrow at the top right corner.
3 Next, you’ll need to click on display preferences, there is a half moon/crescent icon next to it.
4. When you have opened the display preferences, under Night mode, you get the option to turn on or turn off Night mode to give your eyes a break.
5. Click on On to turn on Dark Mode
6. To turn off Night mode, repeat steps 1 to 4 and click on off.
How to Turn on Facebook Dark Mode on Android and iPhone
After such a long wait, Facebook has started trialing Dark Mode on Facebook App. This simply means they are randomly choosing Facebook users and testing Night mode.
Facebook Dark Mode for Mobile is currently not available for all. It is still being tested and sadly, there is no way to opt in to be among the testers. So, there are no tips or tricks, or a magic wand to get Facebook Night mode on your Facebook mobile App unless through third party Apps.
Although, you can still check if you have been selected to be among the public testers. So, to turn on dark mode for Facebook on your mobile please follow these steps: The steps are the same for Android and iOS users.
1. Open Facebook App
2. Click on the Hamburger Menu at the top right corner of your Facebook App on your mobile.
3. Next, scroll down a bit until you see Settings and Privacy
4. Click on the drop-down menu for settings and privacy
5. If you are one of Facebook’s favorite people and have been selected to test Dark Mode, you will see the option to Night Mode listed in the submenu
6. Click on it and then choose to turn it off or on.
If the option for Dark Mode on Facebook App is not available to you, you could try updating to the latest version of the Facebook app. If you still can see the Night mode option there, then please join me on the waiting list 😃.
How to Turn on Dark Mode on Facebook Messenger
To turn on Night Mode on Facebook Messenger is very easy and straightforward. All you need to do is:
- Open Facebook Messenger
2. Click on your profile Picture
3. Tap the Dark Mode Toggle switch to turn Dark Mode on
4. Repeat the same steps and tap the Toggle switch to turn off Dark Mode on Facebook Messenger.
How To Enable Dark Mode on YouTube
Yes! YouTube definitely has Night Mode in case you don’t know, and you’ll get to know how easy it is to turn it on.
Switching on YouTube Night Mode is one simple way to get a better viewing experience when watching YouTube videos, It is also a way to prevent our eyes from straining so badly because of excessive exposure to white/blue light from computer screens.
YouTube Night Mode feature is available on YouTube web and also on YouTube Mobile App for Android and iOS. Turning on Night Mode on the web doesn’t automatically turn on Dark Mode on the Mobile App or vice versa. You’ll need to adjust the settings separately on both devices.
How to turn on Dark Mode on YouTube on your PC
1. Open YouTube on your chrome browser or any other browser, and click on your profile picture/user icon at the top right-hand corner of the page. If you are not signed in, click on the Hamburger icon it’ll take you to the next stage.
2. Click on Appearance
3. Click on the tab that’s labeled “Dark Theme” this will change your YouTube screen background to black. Dark Theme.
How to turn off Night Mode on YouTube on your PC
1. Open YouTube on your browser and click on your profile picture/user icon at the top right-hand corner of the page. If you are not signed in, click on the Hamburger icon it’ll take you to the next stage.
2. Click on Appearance
3. To take YouTube off Dark Theme, you can either select Light theme or Use device theme.
How to turn on Dark Mode on YouTube on Android and iPhone
1. Open the YouTube app on your android or iPhone and tap your profile picture/user icon at the top-right corner of the app.
2. Tap on the settings option in the menu that appears.
3. Next, you’ll see a toggle next to Dark theme, click on it to activate/switch to dark theme.
4. To swap back to light theme, simply toggle the switch the other way.
How to Turn on Dark Mode on Instagram
If you find yourself spending a lot of time on Instagram, turning on dark mode on Instagram will be a great thing to do. You’ll save your eyes from the strains of being exposed to white light, plus you will be saving your phone’s battery life thereby extending how long it’ll last.
Please be aware that you’ll need the latest version of Android , Android 10 to enable Dark Mode on your instagram app.
It’s very easy to turn on and also turn off dark mode on instagram. Just follow these easy steps for Android phones.
1. Open Instagram app on your mobile phone and click on your profile picture/user icon at the bottom left corner of the app.
2. Next, click on the Hamburger icon at the top right-hand corner of your Instagram app.
3. At the bottom of the Instagram app click on Settings.
4. Next, scroll to the bottom of settings menu and click on Theme.
5 Finally, set your theme to Dark or light. Choose Dark to turn on Dark mode.
How to Turn on Night Mode on Instagram on Pc/Desktop
The Instagram web is not enabled with dark mode features. You’ll have to download a third-party extension to turn on dark mode on Instagram web. You can download this extension Night mode for Instagram if you’re using a chrome browser. Or you could download the Dark Eye extension which can enable dark mode on any browser. Make sure you check the cookies terms so you know what you are agreeing to.
How to Turn on Dark Mode on Windows 10
There is no doubt that excessive usage of computer screens is bad for our health(eyes), but at times it’s unavoidable, especially for those of us who spend a lot of time working with computer screens.
The good news is on operating systems like Windows 10, you can easily switch from Dark to Light Mode and you can choose your preferred accent colors, and decide where those changes will appear.
To turn on ark Mode on Windows 10, please follow these steps:
1. Obviously your computer should be turned on, Click on the Windows icon and scroll down and click settings, or you could search for settings in the search bar.
2. When you have Windows Settings opened, click on Personalisation.
3. Next step will be to click on Colours
4. There is a drop-down that says ” Choose your colour”, Select Dark. This will change your windows built-in apps and windows start menu to dark mode, which is basically a black background, dark grey scroll bars, and white text.
File explorer is currently unable to use this feature, it still has a white background although there might be some changes to this at some point in the future.
You can also choose your preferred accent colour from Windows colours or even make a custom colour. If you want an accent colour to be automatically picked you have the options to choose these settings also by ticking the box.
How to Turn on Dark Mode in Chrome PC
There is Dark mode for Google Chrome, If you have Windows 10 operating system installed on your computer, and you follow the steps for turning on Night mode for windows 10 ,it’ll change the background of your chrome browser to Black. This is because Chrome is a featured app in Windows 10 OS.
To get rid of the Dark/Black theme on google chrome on your phone follow these steps
- Launch the Chrome App on your phone
2. Click on the three vertical dots at the top right-hand corner of the chrome app.
3. Scroll down until you see settings, click on it.
4. When you’ve opened settings, search for Theme and click on it.
5. There are three options to choose from. Click on Dark to turn on dark theme on the chrome mobile app.
How to Turn on Gmail Dark Theme
It is now possible to comfortably work through your Gmail at night using your desktop or mobile phone without worrying about your eyes straining from excessive exposure to white light.
This has been made possible by the Dark Mode feature that is now available on Mobile and desktop Gmail users. You can also use the dark theme setting to save your battery life.
It’s very easy to switch to Gmail dark mode app, or Gmail dark theme on your desktop.
How to Switch to Dark Mode Using Gmail App on Mobiles
Please be aware that for this feature to work on your phone, you need to use an Android device version Q or later or an iOS 13 or later. You will be able to choose between Light, Dark, or your mobile device’s default theme.
1. Open your Gmail app on your iPhone or Android device
2. At the top left-hand corner of the app you’ll see the Menu tab, click on it
3. Next, click on Settings and then
4. Next Scroll down and tap on Theme.
5. Finally, choose your preferred theme: Light, Dark, or System default.
How to Switch to Gmail Dark Theme on a PC
Switching to Gmail dark theme is very easy. You can do it with these few steps:
- Open your desktop browser and go to your Gmail account.
2 Click on the settings icon, which should be at the top right corner of your Gmail account.
3. Now you need to find Theme. You might see it under Quick settings>>> Theme >> View all or you may need to click on see all settings>> General >> Themes >> set Theme.
4. Next, you’ll need to select the dark theme(labeled dark) that’s just next to the default theme, you can also upload a picture of your choice from your personal folder.
How to get Dark Mode on Snapchat
Dark mode is currently being tested with a few users in some countries, so this feature is not widely available to all Android and iPhone users. There are other ways you can enable Snapchat dark mode that doesn’t involve doing it through the Snapchat app.
If you have got an iPhone, please follow these steps to switch to dark mode:
1. Go to your phone’s settings menu
2. Next, Go to general tab and then click on accessibility settings.
3. When you are in the accessibility settings, go to display accommodations, then turn on invert colours.
4. Finally, you can choose your preferred settings, Smart invert or classic invert colours. You can also adjust the white point level to accommodate your visual preference.
How to Turn on Snapchat Dark Mode on Android
Unfortunately, unless you are an Aussie or you live in some parts of the USA, your Snapchat app will not have the dark mode feature yet. Although there are other ways you can enable this feature.
Simply install and download a trustworthy Dark mode app that provides the same functionality. Be sure to read the permissions the apps will need to have access to before you hit the install button.