It’s so easy to create a post on Instagram. You can post on Instagram either by using the Instagram mobile app on your phone, or by accessing Instagram on your laptop or desktop through a web browser, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge, or Internet explorer.
You can post almost any file type on Instagram; you can post pictures, videos, URL links, you can even write and share your thoughts although you need to meet certain criteria to share some types of media files.
In this blog post, I will cover everything you need to know about posting on Instagram.
How to post on Instagram from your Mobile Phone
1. First, open Instagram mobile app on your phone.
2. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
3. Next, choose a photo or video from your phone’s gallery, if you tap the arrow next to gallery it’ll open up your phone’s gallery.
4. Once you’ve selected a picture or video, tap the blue arrow at the top right corner of the app.
5. Next, you will need to add Filters such as Clarendon, Moon, Ludwig, and many others to the picture you’ve selected. You can also edit the position, brightness, contrast, structure, warmth, colour, saturation, and many other features of the photo.
You can skip this step by tapping the blue arrow at the top right corner of the app.
6. The next step is where you add a caption to the photo if you want to, you can also tag anyone, and add your location. If you’d like to post the picture on Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr, simply tap the toggle.
7. If you’re happy with the information you have added, click on the blue tick at the right corner of the app and your post will go live and get shared.
How to post on Instagram from your PC
To post a photo or video on Instagram from your PC or laptop, you need to trick Instagram. This is because they designed Instagram to allow media files to upload only through mobile phones and tablets.
I have tested this trick using a chrome and edge browser; I am sure it’ll work if you have other types of web browsers.
1. Open Instagram on your web browser on your desktop and log into your account.
2. Next, right-click anywhere on the Instagram page on your computer, you’ll get a pop-up menu, click on Inspect (should be close to the bottom).
3. You’ll get a series of HTML codes, don’t let it scare you, lol. Look for the icon that looks like a phone placed on top of a tablet (Toggle device emulation), it should be at the top left corner of the menu bars.
4. On the Instagram side of the screen make sure you can see responsive at the top left corner.
5. click the refresh button next to the search bar to refresh the page. You should see the post Icon at the bottom of the Instagram page.
6. Close the inspection window by clicking ‘x’ and the far right corner of the screen.
7. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
8. Select any file you’d like to upload/ share on Instagram on your laptop and click open.
9. Next, you can add Filters such as Clarendon, Moon, Ludwig, and many others to the picture or video you’ve selected. You can also edit the brightness, contrast, warmth, colour, saturation, and many other features of the photo. Click next when you’re done or if you’d like to skip this step.
10. Next, add a caption to the picture, you can also tag anyone, and add your location.
11. If you’re happy with the information you have added, and the image or video you’ve selected, click the share button at the top right corner of the screen.
Unfortunately, you can’t post multiple pictures at a time on Instagram on a computer.
How to Post on Instagram on a Mac computer using Safari
1 Open Instagram on your Safari browser on Mac and sign in to your Instagram account.
2. Next, navigate to the preference menu for Safari and click on Advanced tab in the pop-up window.
3. In the Advanced window at the bottom, tick the box next to the option Show Develop menu in menu bar.
4. This should bring the Develop menu to the top menu bar. Click on the develop menu and hover over User-agent. here you can choose the mobile interphase you’d like to see on your mac.
5. Your Instagram interphase should now have the option to add a post at the bottom of the page.
6. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
7. Select any file you’d like to upload/ share on Instagram on your laptop and click open.
8. Next, you can add Filters such as Clarendon, Moon, Ludwig, and many others to the picture or video you’ve selected. You can also edit the brightness, contrast, warmth, colour, saturation, and many other features of the photo. Click next when you’re done or if you’d like to skip this step.
9. Next, add a caption to the picture, you can also tag anyone, and add your location.
10. If you’re happy with the information you have added, and the image or video you’ve selected, click the share button at the top right corner of the screen.
How to share a post on Instagram on your Feed
You can share a post on your Instagram feed. This could be photos or videos. You can choose to share multiple photos at a time on Instagram. Your photos will be placed in a slideshow which your followers can scroll through.
You can also upload and share a video on your Instagram Feed, the video cannot be longer than 60 seconds. It can be a live or prerecorded video.
I have already written in significant details how to post on Instagram, just follow the step-by-step guide above.
How to Repost someone else’s post on Instagram Story?
You can share someone’s post from their feed to your Instagram Story but currently can’t share it on your Instagram feed within Instagram. If you want to share someone’s post from feed on your Instagram feed, you must download third-party apps such as Repost for Instagram and Instarepost. You can also simply take a screenshot of the feed and repost it on your feed.
You can only repost someone’s post from Feed to your story if their account is public and they’ve allowed re-sharing of their posts.
1 Tap the paper plane icon
2. Next, tap on Add post to Your Story box, which is next to your profile icon.
3. At the bottom left corner of the app, tap on Send to >.
4. Tap on the blue Share tab next to Your Story. The post will also be shared on your Facebook story if you have the setting turned on.
5. If you have a created list of Close friends on Instagram, you can tap the blue share tab next to close friends to share the feed with them.
6. Every photo or video you share on your Instagram story has a lifespan of 24 hours, after which it’ll be removed.
Why can’t I share someone else’s post on Instagram?
There’s no direct way to share someone else’s post on Instagram on your feed. If you must, make sure you take permission from the owner of the post, then download third-party apps such as Repost for Instagram and Instarepost. You can also simply take a screenshot of the feed and repost it on your feed.
If you cannot share someone’s feed on your story, it means they have disabled re-sharing of their post; they have a private account, or they’ve blocked you.
How to turn on post notifications on Instagram
1 Open Instagram app on your Android or iPhone and go to the person’s Instagram profile.
2. Tap the bell icon at the top right corner of the profile.
3. Tap the toggle switch icon
4. If you’d like to change the notifications settings for live videos, tap > next to live videos and select your preferred settings. You can choose to; Receive all notifications, Receive some notifications, or Turn off notifications.
If you decide to turn on post notifications for someone you follow on Instagram, whenever they share a photo or video on their feed, you’ll get a notification.
There is no way to turn on notifications for multiple Instagram accounts at the same time, so you’ll need to visit each Instagram profile to turn notifications on or off.
You may also get a push notification when someone you follow shares a post for the first time in a long time, it doesn’t matter if you have notification turned on for that person.
This is completely anonymous, Instagram won’t notify them to say you have turned notifications on or off for their posts. You can also turn it off whenever you choose to.
How to post a video on Instagram
1 Open your Instagram App on your Android mobile phone or iPhone.
2. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
3. To record a new video tap on the camera icon above your phone’s library. Tap and hold the record icon to record. To stop recording, simply lift your finger.
4. To upload a video from your phone’s gallery, simply tap the arrow next to gallery it’ll open up your phone’s gallery. Select the video you’d like to share.
5.Follow the steps for adding a filter, location, and captions for posts above. Click share when you’re ready to share your video.
Please be aware that the maximum video length you can share on Instagram is 60 seconds, if you want to share a video longer than 60 seconds use IGTV.
How to Post a GIF on Instagram
There’s no straightforward way to post a GIF on your Instagram feed. But there are two ways you can get it done. First, you can post the GIF on your Instagram story, save it, and then post it on your feed. The other method is to download and use a mobile app called Giphy.
First Method: Post the GIF on your Instagram Story
- Open your Instagram account on your phone
2. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
3. At the bottom right corner of the app, click on Story.
4. On the left side tap on Aa Create.
5. Next, tap GIF at the bottom right corner and search GIPHY for any GIF you want.
6. Click on Next, at the top right corner, and then you can either send it to your stories or your close friends by tapping the icons.
7. Go to your Instagram stories, tap more the three vertical dots at the bottom right corner of the app, and then tap save video.
8. Once you’ve saved the video, follow the steps for posting a video on your Instagram feed to post on your feed.
Second Method: Downloading and Installing GIPHY
Giphy is a nice app that integrates well with most social media apps. It’s very easy to use and has loads of very cute GIFs you can choose from. To use a GIF from Giphy on Instagram, simply:
1. Download the GIPHY app on your mobile phone from Google Play Store or Apple store.
2. Search for the GIF that suits your mood, click on the image, and then tap the share icon (it looks like a paper plane).
3. Tap on the Instagram app icon to open your Instagram account.
4. Finally, you can then choose to either post the GIF on your feed or to your Instagram Story.
How to Post a Link on Instagram Story
To post a clickable link( URL) on your Instagram story, you need to meet one of the following conditions; yeah I know it’s harsh, but this feature is not accessible to everyone on Instagram. Although anyone can add a link to their Instagram Bio.
1. You must have over 10,000 followers, or
2. You are a public figure or you represent a known brand and your account has been verified.
If you meet any of these criteria, you will be able to add a link to your Instagram story.
1. Open your Instagram app and navigate to your Instagram story settings.
2. Make sure the link you want to share on your Instagram story is already copied to your clipboard.
3. Click on the link icon (2 chains linked together) at the top of the app.
4. Click on URL >> insert link >> tap Done.
5. Share your Story as normal, there should be a see more option at the bottom of your Story.
How to Post a YouTube Video on Instagram
There is no straightforward way to post a YouTube video on Instagram. You must download the YouTube video first and save it in your phone gallery before you can post it on Instagram. The only other way is to have over 10,000 followers or a verified Instagram account.
1 Copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to share on Instagram and paste it in the YouTube downloader app or software.
2. When you’ve saved the file in your phone’s gallery, open Instagram app on your phone.
3. Tap the square icon with a plus sign
4. Tap gallery and select the video you downloaded, it has to be only 60 seconds long.
5. You can edit the video, add a caption, location and then share on your feed.