Knowing how to create and add a signature in outlook to your email will make your email very professional.
It’s so easy to add a signature to your outlook email messages and Microsoft provides a decent amount of formatting options.
Your signature can either be a text, image, logo, your handwritten signature, or even your electronic business card.
How you create a signature in outlook depends on whether you are using outlook on the web or if you’re using the Outlook app.
Please be aware that you can add signatures to your emails in both dedicated Outlook app or Outlook on the web.
You also need to be mindful that , you’ll need to create and add email signatures in both outlook versions, as the signature does not sync across both versions.
On this post we’ll cover how you can create and add an signature in Outlook using both outlook app and outlook on the web.
How to Create and Add an Email Signature in Outlook on the Web
Please watch the video below to learn how to easily create and add an email signature to your outlook messages.
I will also provide step by step instructions below on how to create and add an email signature.
- Firstly, sign in to outlook on the web.
- Next you will need to navigate to settings tab in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on view all Outlook settings , then click on Compose and reply (this should bring up a message box).
- Next, under Email signature, you can create a signature that’ll be automatically added to your messages.
- You then need to type your signature and use the available formatting options to change its appearance. You can insert links, choose your preferred colours, and add files or images.
- Just below the box for the email signature, there are two boxes with options to tick.
- So, If you want your signature to appear at the bottom of all new email messages that you compose, tick the Automatically include my signature on new messages I compose check box.
- If you want your signature to appear on messages that you forward or reply to, tick the Automatically include my signature on messages I forward or reply to checkbox.
- Select Save when you’re done to save the signature you have just created. When you compose a new message, your signature should automatically be added to the message.
- If you’d rather add your signature manually and not include them on every message, you can do this by selecting; New message>> Insert signature.
How to Create and Add an Email Signature in Outlook 365 App
- To create and add a signature in the desktop/app version of Outlook, the first thing you need to do is to open a new email message.
- Next, you need to go to the Message menu, select Signature, and then choose Signatures.
Depending on the size of your Outlook window (i.e if it’s on full screen or not), and whether you’re composing a new email message or, replying or forwarding a message, the Message menu and the Signature button might be in two different locations.
- Next, look under Select signature to edit, and choose New. You’ll get a pop-up dialog box to name your signature, you can call it whatever you like.
This feature is quite handy because If you intend to create several signatures for different email recipients, you can easily name and differentiate each signature.
- The next step is where you compose your signature and this is done in the Edit signature box.
There are a good number of formatting tools in the Edit signature box, you can choose the font style and colour you want and you can also change the alignment.
If your intention is to get a very powerful email signature, your best bet is to use Microsoft word where you can use bullets and also have a range of other great formatting tools. This will make your email signature look more professional.
When you are done formatting in Word, just copy and paste the signature into the Edit signature box.
You can also create a signature for your outlook email messages using readily available signature gallery template provided by Microsoft.
I’ll provide the steps for this in the next subheading in this blog post.
Next, under Choose default signature, you will need to set the following options for your signature;
In the Email account drop-down box, choose an email account to associate your signature with. Microsoft provides the option to have different signatures for different email accounts.
- Next, you’ll need to update the New Messages drop-down box, select one of your signatures only if you want your signature added to all new messages by default.
If you’d rather not have your signature added automatically to new messages, choose (none).
The same applies to the Replies/Forwards drop-down box; If you want your signature to appear in the messages you reply to and forward, select one of your signatures. If you’d rather not have your signature added automatically to Replies/Forwards, choose (none).
- Finally, Click on OK to save your newly created signature and return to your message. A signature will be automatically added to any new message you compose, this also depends on the settings you used in the new messages drop-down box.
How to Create an email signature from a template
- Click on Get signature templates hyperlink at bottom of Edit signature box
- This will launch another page, next click on Get template
- After downloading the template you have chosen, open it in microsoft word.
- Create an email signature from a template – Outlook
- Next, you will need to choose the signature you like, select all the components in the signature and click Copy.
- Go to your outlook email and select New Email
- Now paste the signature you just copied in the email message body
- To save this signature so all future messages can have it automatically added, copy all the components of the signature and use any of the methods above to add the signature to your email.
How to Add a Logo or Image to your Email Signature
If you want to add a cute/professional image, company logo or a social icon to your email signature please follow these steps;
- Open your outlook email and go to new message and then select Signature , and then Signatures.
- Next, In the Select signature to edit box, you will need to choose the signature you want to add a logo or image to from your already created signatures.
- Next in the Edit signature box, select the Image icon , search for the image file you intend to use from your file manager, and click Insert.
- Finally, If you are happy with the appearance of the image, select OK, then select OK again to save the changes to your signature. You can resize your picture image by right-clicking the image, then choose Picture. Select the Size tab and use the options to resize your image.